Friday, April 15, 2016

What's in the Mystery bag?

    This week in class we focused on artifact bags! This is by far my favorite activity that I have learned in this class. You can use this as a get to know me activity or one to figure out specific events or time periods. It works best in an Inquiry lesson because while going through the bag you are going through the inquiry process. This activity is perfect for any grade level, however it depends on what topic or event you are doing.
    In class we focused on the lessons we taught in fieldwork. My lessons were about the thirteen colonies so I did mine on George Washington. He was the leader in the American Revolution and played a major role in the road to America's Independence. For my artifact bag I would have second or third grade go through the artifact bag and the inquiry process. I included three artifacts within my bag. The first one was the thirteen colonies flag. I chose this one because George Washington lead them in the Revolutionary War. The next artifact was a picture of the war with George Washington in the front waving the flag. This artifact was very easy and almost guided them in their thinking. The last artifact was a quarter. I chose this one because George Washington is on the quarter and it showed that there is a person on the quarter. I hoped that if that saw that, maybe the bag was on a person and connect the dots.



     Here is the link to my activity presentation. Within the presentation is a link to a autobiography website on George Washington. I chose this website because it gives more in depth information on him and his contribution to the fight for independence. It also gives other important facts and his role has president later on. I also chose the book I Am George Washington by Scholastic. Just like the website it talks about George Washington and his accomplishments throughout his life. This book is more for second grade, which is also the grade level appropriate for my artifact bag. After doing the artifact bag, students would go to the website and book to better inform themselves of George Washington and what he did for this Country. 
     Artifact bags are a great way to challenge the student in the knowledge they gained after a direct lesson. It helps the child learn more about a specific moment in time. I would definitely use this when I become a teacher. It expands the student knowledge and engages them to learn more! 

Here is the link to my presentation on my artifact bag! 

No comments:

Post a Comment